National Assembly To Resume After Two Months Recess

The National Assembly will on Tuesday (today) resume from its two-month annual recess, with the lingering crisis between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities being one of the issues of national importance topping the agenda.

Already, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has summoned a stakeholders’ meeting for 3pm at Room 301, New Building, House of Reps Wing, National Assembly Complex.

Gbajabiamila had invited the Minister of Finance, Budget, and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed; the Minister of Labour, Employment, and Productivity, Chris Ngige; the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu; the national leadership of ASUU, and other critical stakeholders to resolve the crisis that had led to lecturers shutting down the universities for over seven months.

During the break, the Minister of Finance disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari  had transmitted the 2023-2025 Medium-Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper to the National Assembly for consideration and passage.

Lawan and Gbajabiamila are expected to read out Buhari’s cover letter on the MTEF and FSP, after which the committees are expected to lay their reports on it anytime after.

Another issue expected to take the centre stage is the confirmation of the acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Olukayode Ariwoola.

The Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Benjamin Kalu, who was contacted to list the priority items on the lawmakers’ agenda, said he was out of the country.#####

Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Ikeja Special Offences Court has sentenced kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, aka Evans, alongside an ex-soldier, Victor Aduba, to 21 years imprisonment for kidnapping one Sylvanus Hafia.

The judge, who handed down the verdict without an option of fine on Monday, said the sentence would run concurrently.

On count one, she convicted and sentenced Evans and Aduba to five years imprisonment; for the second count, the judge sentenced them to 21 years imprisonment for kidnapping and five years for unlawful possession of firearms.

Following the judgment, Nigerians including Senior Advocates of Nigeria, had been reacting to the verdict preferred against the controversial kidnapper and his accomplice.

Speaking with newsmen Prof Sam Erugo (SAN), said the court had the discretion on what sentence to pass, adding that in the case of Evans who had multiple charges pending before different courts, for as long they pass the judgments, they would run concurrently.

Also reacting, Olu Daramola (SAN), however, said the sentence made no difference because Evans was already serving a life sentence.

Describing the judgement as a positive development, a lawyer, Isiaku Olagunju (SAN) said the judgment would serve as deterrent to other criminals.

Leave a Comment